Plans are now just underway for Superior Days 2017, which will take place on February 21 & 22, 2017 in Madison. This annual community-based event (2017 will mark the 32nd year) provides a delegation of citizens from northwest Wisconsin who travel to Madison with an opportunity to meet with legislators and state agency officials to inform, educate and advocate on issues of importance to our part of the state.
In order that our delegates bring down issues of importance to our County, Bayfield County will be holding an Issues Identification Meeting on Tuesday, October 18 at 5:00 pm in the County Board Room in the Bayfield County Courthouse in Washburn. Issues that are taken to Madison should meet the following three criteria:
1) Are unique to or have a major impact on NW Wisconsin
2) Require state legislation or state agency action
3) Are supported by the participating delegation
At the August County Board meeting or since, County Supervisors or the County Administrator have suggested the following 9 issues:
1. Pass a local option sales tax for transportation funding
2. Widen turning lanes on US Highway 2 and widen State Farm Road off US Highway 2 at the entrance to the Bayfield County Business Park
3. Reinstate counties ability to enact/enforce more strict shoreland zoning ordinance standards
4. Provide counties with increased regulator authority to safeguard their water resources
5. Increase/realign DNR staffing in NW Wisconsin to enforce water protection regulations
6. Increase state payment in lieu of taxes (PILT) for county forest lands
7. Increase state funding targeted at expanding broadband service in NW Wisconsin
8. Increase UW-Extension agricultural agent support
9. Maintain a strong county Extension educator-based presence in NW Wisconsin
Mark your calendars and plan to attend this Issues Identification Meeting on October 18. If you are unable to attend this meeting, but have an issue you would like to share, email it either me Tim Kane at email@example.com or to County Administrator Mark Abeles-Allison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information and background on Superior Days, go to the Superior Days web site at superiordays.com.
There may be a quorum of the Bayfield County Board of Supervisors present at this October 18 meeting.